Tuesday 11 February 2014

10 Tips for a newbie in Mumbai

It's not easy, really not easy to shift from a small town to a metro city.
What makes it more difficult? To shift back from that same metro city to the same old small town.

They say, Once you live in Mumbai, your adjustments open all the gates.

5 Things about the city you can never let go.

1. Sound of the traffic.
2. The Arabian Sea.
3. Spending money recklessly.
4. Culture.
5. Heat.

As a student, I had big dreams obviously! Getting through Sophia College was like a dream come true.
I've survived my entire life between  the catholic religion and also GIRLS. More than a temple, I preferred praying in a church, more than " Jai Shree Krishna " it was always " In the name of the Father & of the Son and the Holy Spirit. ". I've known the bible better than Bhagwad Gita and I've preferred to stay comfortable around females than men. My school was a convent, my college was a convent. I've never had teachers or sirs as my mentors, never followed the words like "dean". It was always "Father" or " Sister" . Never walked into a temple during my Diwali holidays but have definitely taken a candle to the grotto. Being a Hindu, I never cursed anybody for putting in  between females or never complained of not knowing my own religion so well and never letting me realize what coed education meant. The plus point was, I was comfortably breathing with no male gaze around me. I was always blessed to have well-spoken teachers all my life. Be it high school or college. So definitely, a girls college was never an issue.

Sooner or later, this day had to come. You always face the real mixed emotion scenario when you're leaving your city after high school. Memories of school, friends, family, your room , the desk, your cupboard, your feelings, etc.  And you always go through the same feeling when you're again switching back from that new city to the old one. But...in those years, you realize, your return can be to the same place but things change. You change! Friends change. Feelings change. Everything changes.

I went through something similar. I had the same numbness when I stepped inside the train leaving my dad alone.A friend had come too. I considered her my "best friend"( she no longer talks to me. Tee-Hee) . When I reached Mumbai, I could feel the different air . And that was the time, when I realized, this definitely is going to be "Kick-ass".

When people say,  Mumbai takes enough and gives enough. Whatever happens in that process is what you give. It's like Karma! It's true.

Mumbai- " The Paris of India." , " Bollywood's birth place. ", " India's New York! ". These were the phrases I was introduced to, initially. The excitement you hold while entering it, trust me, is just half to the tears you shed when you're stuck with the snobbish townies. And then... When loneliness will come and eat you, the sea  and the sound of the waves will get you at peace. Where, your walk in any restaurant will cost you a bomb, there itself the summer job internship pay will fill your pocket. Where the noisy clubs would get you high on alcohol, there itself can be the most peaceful walk at Marine Drive. Where Fashion and richness sparkle like crystal , there simplicity and cheap transport favors you. Everything about that city is at the extreme! Either you're high or absolutely sober. Either you're rich or absolutely poor. Either you're alone everyday gathering bits of lonely moments or having the best time of your life with your friends. Either you're absolutely busy with work or you're completely jobless.

Time passed, my expectation grew. As a student what do you dream of?  Frankly?

- A stay at a PG or a hostel. ( Because i want to experience a life like F.R.I.E.N.S.)
- " I want to work because I want to be independent. "
- Beer is ll over the city, would be chilling there almost everyday.
- ANDDDD there's ZAAARAAAA!

Listen!

PG owners screw your case to death specially if you're a girl. I was stuck with a family and locked in a room for months because I was restricted from the exposure of a metro city. So, DEPRESSION DAYS mode  Got activated.

Work? Get yourself a fucking degree. Mumbai definitely throws a lot of money but only if you own a stamp paper. Talent is not your only support.

BEEERRRRRR.... costs you half of what you can afford everyday! Mumbai= Money . You need to be expensive to afford a 150/- mug everyday.

#FreeAdvice If you're a small townie and you can't have proper clothes on, NEVER enter Zara. RICH FEMALE gaze is worse than facing MALE gaze. They want to cut you in pieces if you're hair is not set properly or you are not dressed well.


So, 10 tips when you shift to a city like Mumbai.

1. Feel blessed to have a family house. 
But curse yourself to get locked too! If you have relatives who keep you locked, make sure you yell and throw things only because you want them to realize, you' re not here because you wanted to get locked. You're here to breathe and you will be disciplined. ( don't leave beer for that! :P ) I regret not standing up for myself.

2. Please ATTEND COLLEGE.
Mumbai localites are snobbish and un friendly. But every college offers a campus recruitment. Your career lives there, grows there. Polish yourself for the worse . Going to college will fill your pocket with extra money.
Plus points are:
1. Mumbai internships PAY!
2. Your experience in any field will teach you so much when you're just a teenager.

3. Go to cheap places like Janta in Bandra! 
Be blessed if your account balance has 25k a month and you like to walk in with Aldo shoes and a Zara shirt with Vera Moda pants. But, if you don't own all this, places like Gokuls & Janta or Sodas are the saviors. Cheap beer , where whatever and walk in. It might look shady, but the student crowd is HOT and beer is really cheap!

4. Use PUBLIC TRANSPORT. 
Buses & Trains are your best travel buddies. The areas they go to are tagged with bus nos. They are safe till 11 P.M. for ladies and trains save A LOT OF TIME. Again, the crowd can be risky for your wallets and phones but a little bit of care and you're absolutely living the real Mumbai. Yes, walk to the nearest places. PLEASE!  A 2 km is not so tiring, it saves your money and also makes you lose wight! You cut almost 70% of your expenditure, also saves your energy and time over traveling if you learn to make the proper use of it.

5. Carry a city map.
Areas like church-gate are mirrored. Everything looks like everything. Same! I know, it's the world of GPS but, save the phone battery and use the map, you by heart the names of the lanes. Learn to know where and how tiny lanes have short cuts and also, know the city you're living in. It's an inspiration to know your hometown later when you return.

6. SAVE MONEY! 
Mumbai can cruelly kill your bank balance. Start saving! You never know, you might just get to drink in rich clothes at a five star or even shop the in the international branded shops or have a ' swim in alcohol ' birthday party. But learn to save! Save as much as you can because once you know how to calculate your money , you learn responsibility.

7. GO for FESTS and PLAYS! 
Why spend 300 bucks over a movie? Watch a play at Prithvi Theatre! They are cheap and beautiful. Better than any unsuccessful Bollywood movie. Go for the bandra fest or the worli fest and DO NOT  miss the KAla Ghoda fest. The art experimented would have kept Aristotle also doubt free . ( okay that was exaggerated). But when you go for plays, there are things you learn. Fests are an escapism from your daily day to day trouble. Learn what the city experiments with!

8. VISIT the landmarks. 
If confused, climb the " Mumbai tour " bus. It will show you what makes an Island so different. The beauty of Marine drive wears a queen's necklace.  The a drive over the sea with the sea link. The elegance of the British Architecture at Colaba, The holy mosque in the middle of the sea Haji Ali, the blessed Sidhivinayak, The entrance of Gateway of India, The Mumbai High Court, the oldest metro Cinemas and a lot more.
Mumbai is an island of hidden treasure, treasure of beauty. Know it!

9. One clubbing night. 
People might call it noisy. But there are Saturday nights  when you just want to dance and get high. one clubbing night a month is worth an experience. But also carry rubber. Men are too hot to handle and one night stand is a life time experience.

10. SIT by the sea
If you're not fond of meditation, it's really okay. Magic is something the sea has! Ever lived near the sea? The breeze holds a healing power. The sound of the waves is better than a band music, the sunset and the sunrise are prettier than a perfect face of a woman.


When people ask me what true love really means,  I would tell them, it was the city I fell in love with.  It turns me speechless.  My words go less and there's a piercing silence within me everytime I think of not being there again. It's HARD,  hard to know that a small townie can change so much after living in that city because of the city.

So,  if you're a newbie in Mumbai, make the most out of it.














No comments:

Post a Comment